Sunday, October 5, 2008

Something to Contemplate

I was recently given the absurd assignment by nadamucho.com to come up with "My Top 10 Favorite Albums of All Time." This was extremely hard for me as I love music and there have been so many albums that have been important to me at different phases of my life. For example, I've listened to the Why? album from this year "Alopecia" a ridiculous number of times, but possibly due to it's recent release it doesn't qualify as a "classic" in my mind. . .yet. When I was in 4th or 5th grade, I was convinced that Poison's "Look What The Cat Dragged In," was the best album ever. Although, I still stand by that being a great rock record, it most definitely wouldn't be in my current top 10 list. At one time, it seemed like Poison were about the coolest dudes ever. The female style make up, C.C.'s bleached, large hair, the cock rock style guitar shredding. I laugh now, but in the mid 80's, these guys were the shit. I also thought of all the music I was exposed to by my parents growing up. Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours," Cat Steven's "Tea for the Tillerman," Side B of "The White Album." It's all stuff I love for sentimental reasons, it's almost like "comfort music," but none of it made my list. It would have been so much easier if it would have been broken down into sub-categories. I could have came up with my top 10 instrumental albums, top 10 classic rock albums, etc. So without further ado, here's my list in no particular order:

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Pinback - Blue Screen Life

Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

Cursive - The Ugly Organ

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

Slint - Spiderland

Comets on Fire - Blue Cathedral

Built to Spill - Keep it Like a Secret

Fugazi - The Argument

Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West


I welcome any comments or criticism regarding this list. I know when Spin or Rolling Stone publish their "top 50" lists, there's always complaints about things that have been left out, or shock by the inclusion of what are considered "non-essential" albums. What records have changed your life? What piece of music has been so important to you that you'll still be listening to it 20 years down the road? Is it some album that makes you nostalgic for a certain period of time? Let me know, I'm interested.

1 comment:

Juliepop said...

Solid list. Hard as hell to narrow down. It's funny - I don't know if I would have been able to guess all 10 of yr choices, but not a single one of them surprises me. I have been thinking about what mine would be...I have decided that my top 10 of all time would change depending on my mood. Do you stand by yrs no matter what? Have you thought of any you might have left off?