Sunday, November 23, 2008

Try to be more SUBTLE



Back on November 8th, I went and saw the group Subtle perform at Nectar Lounge in Fremont. Chuck, Jon and I took the bus, which was fun in itself. After drinking the mandatory beer in the alley, we went into the venue. Luckily I was on the guest list (thanks Peter), so I had that much more money to spend on alcohol.

Zach Hill (drummer from the band Hella) was the opening act. He performed a piece entitled "Necromancer" which was basically him going ass wild on drums while "playing along" to some pre-recorded music. I found myself laughing uncontrollably on several occasions. The guys is an incredible drummer, but it was so over the top, I found it hysterical. It reminded me of a late night "show" that was on the Arcata Community Access Television, "ACAT," called the "Corey McG Drum Jam." While I was in college, this show always seemed to come on at the perfect time (3 AM, while drunk as all hell). "Corey McG" was just a rocker dude with long hair that would bash away at his drums, then "explain" what he was playing, and how "you at home" could play this also.

Subtle finally came on. Although they were missing Dax (keyboard/synth) and Alexander (cello), they still had an incredible performance. Doseone (vocals/samples) was in his usual, hyperactive/spastic form. Regardless of the circumstances, the guy is always a showman with some of the most incredible stage presence I've ever witnessed. Almost as enjoyable as the music were Dose's between song rants. He told jokes, talked about being in a "not-so-nice" area of Oakland, CA the night Obama was elected and read a hysterical rider for a band no one had ever heard of.



Both Doseone and Jel are founding members of the record label/collective anticon. Anticon is also the home of Why?, who've I've been raving about so much over the last few months. Subtle's music, like Why?'s, falls into that grey area between hip hop and indie-rock. I've seen them 4 times in the last five years and have never been dissapointed. I will say I much prefer their live performance (mostly due to Dose's energy) to their recordings.

We missed our last bus home, and had to take a cab. We saw no less than three drunk-ass drivers on the way, including one guy who was swerving ridiculously between lanes. Fun times.

No comments: