Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Couple of Releases I'm Looking Forward To



This is the cover for the new Cursive album, somewhat nastily entitled, "Mama I'm Swollen." It's out on March 10th. I was somewhat disappointed with the last record, "Happy Hollow," but the previous two albums, "The Ugly Organ" and "Domestica" are among my favorite recordings of all time. "The Ugly Organ" made it on to my "Favorite 10 Albums of All Time" list. I have high hopes for this album, look for a full review once it's released.



This is the one I'm really excited about. Sonic Youth's 16th album, "The Eternal" will be released on June 9th. This album also marks their first on Matador, a perfect post-Universal label for the band. It appears that Mark Ibold (former bass player of Pavement) is now an "official" member of the band as well. He has toured with SY for the last few years, but this will be the first album he plays on. My favorite song title on this forthcoming album is "Calming the Snake." Brilliant! If I am lucky enough to receive a promo advance copy, I'll put a review. Otherwise I'll be anxiously awaiting "The Eternal's" arrival in June.

1 comment:

Juliepop said...

So excited about the new SY release! oh man. Can't wait.