Thursday, July 16, 2009

80's Hard Rock Thursday

I've decided from time to time, I will pick a "theme" and listen to three albums at work that fall into a particular category. I refrained from using the term "metal" or "glam metal" as all three albums don't really sound metal to me, especially the Poison, which is just rock or hard rock.

Here's the three albums I listened to at work today:







I'm not the hugest W.A.S.P. fan, but I like them alright, and this album is growing on me.

That first Motley Crue record is a dirty, whiskey drinkin', stripper fuckin, drug snortin' son of a bitch! Seriously though, it's a raw, nasty, ass kicker of a rock and roll album. I've said it plenty of times before, but I will stand by "Too Fast for Love" and "Shout at the Devil," as being classic hard rock records.

As far as the debut Poison LP, this was my favorite record of 1987. I literally wore out my original cassette tape with repeated listens. Wikipedia lists the album's themes as "ambition, lust, sexual frustration, love lost and, most importantly, anti-social behavior." That's heavy, man. I will admit, some of the music and production sounds a little "dated" at this point, but I can still listen to the album in its entirety, and sing along almost word for word.

I completely expect to be made fun of for admitting my admiration for Poison and Motley Crue. So go ahead and ridicule me(this means you Joel!) I wouldn't even consider the Poison and Crue records as "guilty pleasures," they're just "pleasures." Besides making fun of me, please share some albums or artists that I might be "surprised" that you like.

4 comments:

Ben said...

I can't believe no one wanted to make fun of me for my taste in music? Awesome, possum!

Ben said...

Wow, Joel. I had no idea you were a Crue fan, that is great to hear! I love how you changed yr photo on here so you're all smiling and happy now, too. Wait, wait, wait. . .maybe this is a new Joel we're seeing?

chezmakr said...

oh, no my friend. I am still one grumpy FUCKER!! But I do Like the crue.

Ben said...

"Anonymous," that was the best comment anyone has ever left on any of my blogs. . .I like it so much, I'm going to create a whole new blog about it.