Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Hot Sunday Night Action

This last Sunday I went to see my pals The Ever Changing Sky and Bellingham friends Ship to Ship play at The Rendezvous.



CJ Boyd opened the show. Dude has been on tour for a year straight with only minimal breaks. He looked and smelled like a dude that had been on tour for a year. I considered offering to let him stay at my house, but only if he showered first. His music was "stimulating." He would play bass, sample and loop it, then play over the top of that. Sometimes he would do minimal, haunting vocal parts, then loop those too. The highlight came for me when he did an interpretation of the Nirvana song "Something in the Way." Apparently it moved one of my friends to the point of tears. Give him a listen.

I had to run the fucking door during part of The Ever Changing Sky's set, but snuck in to snap a couple of shots. I also see them like once or twice a month, so no big deal.



Left to right: Bryan Chapple, Danny (new guy who plays viola, which is awesome), Brian Boyle, and Niko adjusting drums.



"Play that e-bow, Boyle!!! Play something ambient, you son of a bitch!!!"

Last up, instrumental post-rock Bellingham duo "Ship to Ship." We've played with these guys a couple of times, and they never fail to impress. They were especially on point this night, and completely blew my mind. Similar to CJ Boyd, bass player Chris samples and loops himself, then will play bass lines and keyboard parts over the top. Drummer Shea is phenomenal. Sometimes he'd be playing things I thought were out of time, but then I realized he's advanced, and on a whole other level that I can't even comprehend. Needless to say, you need to check out this band!



Wow, Shea looks a lot like Adam in this pic, and wait a minute. . .is that Billy Corgan playing bass?



And finally Niko, TECS's drummer's birthday was on Friday. Joey and I felt bad for having missed it, so we picked him up a card and wrote a poem that was both racist and homophobic. Chapple was so impressed with my rendering on "N-Gro" on the card, he reproduced it on a wall in the green room. Please note the male genitilia on the birthday hat!

No comments: