Saturday, October 10, 2009

Southwest Flight 3435

At 20,000 feet now. I'm in the back row by the window, completely packed in like a sardine by two men of equal or greater size.



I'm Listening to Deerhunter's "Microcastle." It's a truly remarkable album on its own, and right now my listening experience is enhanced by tiny lights beneath wispy clouds to my left, and the magnificent orange and red glow of a Fall sunset to my right. Bradford Cox is singing "comfort me, cover me," over and over on second track "Agoraphobia." A cute, chipmunk-faced flight attendant vaguely resembling Thea, a college roommate, offers me a drink. I politely decline as trying to get up out of this seat to take a piss sounds like too heavy a task. Across from me, an Indian baby is crying, definitely not enjoying these friendly skies. A man attendant walks by, wearing a too small Southwest polo shirt that unnecessarily emphasizes his man boobs. I giggle immaturely to myself at the phrase "man boobs." I'd like to buy him a "bro" for support, I think to myself. A little Seinfeld reference running through my head.

"We're now at our cruising altitude, and I've taken off the seat belt sign. You're free to move around the cabin, but we do ask that you keep your seat belt fastened while seated. We're about 438 miles out from the Sacramento airport, and we should be touching down in exactly one hour, right about our scheduled arrival time. Weather is Sacramento is a nice 79 degrees, clear, with slight winds out of the southwest. Sit back and enjoy your flight."



Try to guess what's going on in this low res photo. Hint: It's on the plane.

Alright. One more hour of this. I'll just close my eyes and try some transcendental meditation.

3 comments:

Jaime said...

Did you attempt your 5 drinks to Sac? Tell me what the picture is.

Ben said...

Couldn't do the "5 drink challenge" as there was NO WAY to get up to piss. I'll let people keep guessing about the photo for a little while.

Ben said...

Joel got it! That's my face with the overhead reading light. At the bottom of the photo you can see my shirt and the white cord for my iPod "ear buds." Thanks for the comments, love you guys!