Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Best Albums of 2008

I had to come up with my "top 5" albums of 2008 for a website I do some freelance writing on. My editor wrote a great piece about how overall, 2008 was lacking in any true "masterpieces." He made the point that as critics, we're happy to argue the importance of albums over drinks with other music dorks (I've done this very thing with Vampire Weekend's album on numerous occasions), but there wasn't anything phenomenal released this last year. I almost agreed with him, except for the Why? record. I stand by my statement that it will be recognized in the future as a landmark recording. By the way, I've been seeing "Alopecia" on numerous "best of 2008" lists. Here's my list (not in order) of the top 5 records of the year:



1. WHY? - Alopeica
Hands down the best album of the year.



2. Howlin Rain - Magnificent Fiend
Former Comets on Fire guy gets signed by Rick Rubin's American Recordings, refines his stoney hippie jam rock, and releases a stunner of an LP.

Howlin Rain not only released one of my favorite records of the year, but also my favorite album cover. A song off the album contains the line, "One you were a magnificent fiend, Eyes like electric eels." I'm not sure if this is a Hunter S. Thompson reference or not, but it's bad ass either way!



3. Grand Archives - The Grand Archives
"The Archives" debut is full of sunny pop hooks, delicate vocal harmonies and excellent post-folk.



4. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
They were called many things this year. Derivative, over-hyped, Ivy League snobs, etc. When you get pass all of that, Vampire Weekend released a record of insanely catchy, accessible indie pop. What's so wrong with that?



5. Radiohead - In Rainbows
The sound of Radiohead becoming comfortable with themselves and releasing exactly the album they should at this point in their career.

No comments: