Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Marijuana Is Some Heavy, Far Out Shit Man. . .


Marijuana decriminalization is something I feel strongly about. It seems ridiculous to me for the state to be using taxpayer money to prosecute and imprison casual marijuana smokers. Not to mention law enforcement resources wasted on such a harmless activity. Imagine how much money it costs to keep someone in prison for life for a marijuana related felony. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have the cops out there looking for animal rapists and serial murders, rather than fucking with a dude sitting on the couch stoned, watching Looney Toons and eating trail mix. It's also a big personal privacy issue. Trying to stop people from smoking pot in the privacy of their own homes is like trying to enforce sex laws. Dirty "ass sex" may still technically be illegal in some states, but I assure you it still goes on behind locked doors.

Medical marijuana is a whole other issue. Even though legal in some states, federal authorities (DEA) have continually raided distribution facilities. Denying pain relief or an appetite stimulant to someone sick and suffering from AIDS or cancer is inhumane and an absolute joke. The fact that someone in pain could be denied medicine, and possibly arrested strikes me as absolutely ludicrous.

Surprisingly enough, I don't indulge in the "devil weed" myself. It's been over 10 years since I've touched the shit. The thing is, I have no problem with anyone smoking it, I feel it's absolutely fine. I'm the odd one out among my "peer group" in that I'm not even a "casual" smoker. I always "pass on da grass." My stance is very similar to that of NORML's. I don't necessarily encourage the use of marijuana, I just feel the laws are atrocious.



Washington state is considering decriminalizing possession of less than 40 grams from a misdemeanor to a "class 2 civil infraction," and simply charging a $100 fine. Take a look at NORML's page and send a letter to our state reps. Are you with me???

No comments: