Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Sub Pop is a Good Record Label



I'm finding more and more of my album purchases have been from Seattle's own Sub Pop label. The first album from the label I bought (like many people) was Nirvana's Bleach, which also happens to be their only platinum record.

This last Summer the label celebrated their 20th birthday. There was a two day festival out at Marymoor Park, and I attended one of the days courtesy of my friend Julie. It was amazing to see Wolf Parade, Green River, Foals, Grand Archives, Comets on Fire (most likely their last show!) and Kinski all in one day.

The label has continually found innovative music from all over the world. From the electro-pop of The Postal Service to the new "post-folk" movement that seems to be going on with bands like Fleet Foxes, Grand Archives, Iron & Wine, etc., Sub Pop keep things fresh without restricting themselves to one genre.



I once referred to Sub Pop as, "a music critic's wet dream." None of their artists (with the exception of Nirvana, The Postal Service and The Shins) will sell millions of records, but they continue to have credibility and remain relevant.

Here's a list of some of their albums I've bought in the last two years that I've especially enjoyed:

Band of Horses - Cease to Begin
Grand Archives - The Grand Archives
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
Foals - Antidotes
Iron and Wine - The Shepherd's Dog
Comets on Fire - Avatar
Kinski - Down Below It's Chaos

No comments: