Sunday, April 19, 2009

Record Store Day, Record Store Day, Record Store Day!!!

Better than Christmas, Easter, and Secretary's Day all rolled into one. . .introducing my new favorite holiday, "RECORD STORE DAY!!!" It started last year and now falls every 3rd Saturday in April. The guys that started it recognized the fact that album sales are in a huge downward spiral, so why not dedicate one day every year to the celebration of music, and the people who sell it and love it?



Granted, I completely understand that at this point, I really don't have any business shopping in record stores. Most albums I buy (and I still buy a shitload of CD's) I bring home, put in my iTunes, transfer to my iPod and iPhone, then stack the disc on the shelf where it gathers dust. As much of an amazing "tool" as the internet has been for so many different aspects of our lives, the convenience factor sometimes eliminates some good old fashion person to person contact. The same goes for live shows. It blows my mind that a 13 year old, acne ridden kid in Bumfuck, WA can be a fan of only obscure Japanese noise rock, all because he discovered it on the "interweb."

Now I'm going to sound like a bitter old man here, but it just feels different now than when I was a kid. I remember saving money and going to buy Nirvana's "Nevermind" on casette, and how big of a deal that was. There was something magical and wonderous in not knowing. I hadn't already heard the album leaked months before it "came out," seen the YouTube videos, read the blogger's reviews, etc. It was a completely, beautiful innocent act going to the record store and discovering all of this fantastic music for the first time. And on the rare occasion that bands came through town, I would be excited for weeks in advance, giddy with anticipation. I had no idea who these bands were, and that made them a myth in my mind, something bigger than life itself. These days if there's a band someone wants me to go see, I'll listen to 20 seconds of a song on their myspace page, then decide if I want to actually make the effort to go see them perform.



Wow, I got really sidetracked there. I guess if I was trying to make a point with this, it's that record stores still do matter, or at least they should. I want a doe-eyed kid to go into his locally owned record shop, pick up a copy of The Velvet Underground's self titled album and have a revelation.

This year, I "overindulged" slightly, and visited 4 record stores, and bought eight discs. I also bought 4 more discs last weekend from Silver Platters, and 3 earlier this week off Amazon. Good god, I'm a fiend! Mostly I wanted a copy of the Beck/Sonic Youth split 7 inch where they cover each others songs. Those sons a bitches at Matador only pressed 1500 for the whole country, shipping 5 to each participating record store. So, by the time I went out around 2PM, they had already sold out everywhere. Shit! Now you know what to get me for Christmas.



Here's what I picked up with brief descriptions:

1. Lee Ronaldo - "East Jesus" One of the guitarist from Sonic Youth's solo albums. For rabid fans only

2. Deerhunter - "Microcastle" Possibly one of my new favorite bands. They sound like everybody else, but in a good way.

3. Hum - "You'd Prefer an Astronaut" An absolute bone crushing alternative classic from the mid 90's.

4. Quasi - "Hot Shit" Dope keyboard pop by ex-husband and wife Portland duo.

5. Pavement - "Terror Twilight" College-radio rock at its finest.

6. Lou Reed - "Metal Machine Music" The ultimate test for music lovers. Most people can't handle it, you really have to "sit and pay attention" to enjoy something this over the top.

7. Mastodon - "Crack the Skye" A "new metal" band that is actually good. Epic ass prog-metal.

8. The John Lennon Collection - No comment necessary.

No comments: