Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Transgender Teacher

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING ARTICLE CONTAINS SINCERE, HEART-FELT CONTENT. IF YOU PREFER ONLY MY "NORMAL" MATERIAL, DO NOT READ ON.



"Woah, I would have never have guessed." That was first reaction to hearing that Lindy Rust was now known as "Lynn," and had "transitioned" from male to female. Lindy was my "Exploring Band" teacher in High School for two years, then I was his teacher's aide my Senior year. He was also a mentor of sorts, offering constant positive reinforcement regarding my musical aspirations and my future in general. He was kind enough to write one of my letters of recommendation that helped get me into HSU. He was hands down my favorite, "cool" teacher throughout my High School career. Surprisingly, for being a very musical person Lindy didn't know how to play guitar. I taught him a few basic chords, and he would teach me things about theory, time signatures and all of the other technical aspects of music I had pretty much ignored. Another time I remember inviting him to a large party we were having out at Roach's place known as the "Yonker's Estate." He politely declined stating, "yeah right guys, that's just what I need. . .front page of the newspaper headlined 'Drunken Teacher Found With Students." HA!

The more I think about it, I fear for Lynn's safety in little town like Crescent City. Some folks there aren't very accepting of those that are "different," whatever the circumstances. Basically if you're not white, drive a big truck and drink warm Coors "tall boys," you take the risk of getting your ass kicked.



More than anything, I'm happy for Lindy/Lynn that she finally feels comfortable with who she really is. It must be extremely difficult feeling your whole life like you were born the wrong gender. I can't even imagine.

Kelly Atherton wrote a great article for The Triplicate if you want to get the "whole story."

2 comments:

Ben said...

It has really inspired me. No further comment.

chezmakr said...

talk about Man Boobs.