Sunday, March 28, 2010

Concrete Above Water: A Poem

The following is something I wrote while on my first and only "business trip" down to Orange County. Besides attending a three day long workshop on international shipping regulations, I had quite a bit of free time. Not knowing anyone in Orange County, I found myself driving around, going to the beach, taking photos of myself drinking beer in the hotel room, swimming, and exploring Newport Beach. There's something about the setting sun I find very inspiring. Lately I've been going over to Carkeek Park watching the sunset, writing and playing guitar. Anyway, this poem is based on walking around the beach and pier in Newport. Come on, give me some feedback. No, really, I can take the criticism. HA!



Concrete Above Water


I watched you disappear
Into a smoggy haze
Behind the Hollywood hills
Glowing a freakish orange
I felt like Jesus Christ
As I walked on the ocean
Humans below
Harnessing the power of nature
For their own selfish amusement
And I waited and waited
Staring blankly westward, forever
My shutter snaps continuously
Documenting
And then nothingness, black
Rubber soles scrape smooth asphalt
And I watched you disappear

1 comment:

Juliepop said...

That is beautiful! You really do have a way with the written word!