Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Coat Hanger Cadaver: A Poem

The following is a poem I wrote one morning while eating breakfast by myself at "The Baranof." It contains reflections of one fabulously drunk evening. I just re-read the blog from that night, and realized I haven't got that "wacky" in quite a while. I insist that "Saturday Night Alley Drunk Club" be reinstated. What are you doing this weekend?

Coat Hanger Cadaver or A Flame Burns in The Eager Hearts of the Possessed

In a dark alley tonight
Chaos swirls around empty space
As bodies smash into fences
Shoulders shoved and promises broken
Attempts to focus
Shattered by alcohol consumption
A flame burns
In the eager hearts of the possessed

While urine flies
And puddles flow downstream
Buzz Lightyear salutes
His fallen comrades and newly acquired friends
Christopher Reeves can't fly this evening
He poses as a coat hanger cadaver
Body preserved and used by family
Legalities may stall the process
But his family will prevail
The cans empty, the phone rings
A light beckoning home
Misguided sailors
Their navigation disrupted
By the call of debauchery

I've been writing a lot lately. Song lyrics, magazine articles, material for this blog and even some poetry. Based on the response to this poem, I may share some more.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahh. Good memories, that sure was a fun evening. Good writing, sailing metaphors are always good in my book. Its gonna be alley weather pretty soon.

Ben said...

Yeah, wasn't that great times? I really think we need to start "the club" up again. That was a fun night. It would be funny if that's all we did. . .get an 18 pack of beer and go stand in the alley. "King of The Hill" style

Unknown said...

you just said the magic words friend.