Sunday, June 28, 2009

Orange County "Business Trip"

On June 17th-19th I went on my first ever business trip. The U.S. Census Bureau now requires submission of information through their Automated Export System (A.E.S.) for all major international shipments. That was the focus of the workshop and conference as well as International Shipping and Trade Regulations. As boring as that sounds (and it was pretty dull at times) it will actually help me with my "career" and was good information for me to learn. That, and I.S.B. picked up the tab for my flight, hotel, rental car and all meals. Outside of the conference itself I did quite a bit of exploring in Orange County. What really struck me is how close all the cities are together. I was staying in Costa Mesa, but drive three minutes North and I was in Santa Ana, a few minutes East was Irvine, just to the West was Newport Beach, etc. What would be different neighborhoods in Seattle were completely different cities in Orange County.

Remarkably, there were little traffic and visible smog where I was staying. The hotel was sweet too, with a continental breakfast, super friendly staff, and a 24 hour access pool and jacuzzi. I started the mornings with a wake up swim, and finished my evenings with a jacuzzi soak.

I suppose I could write and write about everything I did there, but this video tells the story pretty well. Hopefully the next conference I attend will be in Vegas, Hawaii, or Mexico!

8 comments:

chezmakr said...

wow, suddenly life as a cheesemaker seems like an extremely exciting occupation compared with that SHIT. BORRRRRRRIIINNNGGGG.

Juliepop said...

You really liked that cowboy statue in the beginning, didn't ya fella?

Ben said...

That was done for the sake of art, stop hating!

Juliepop said...

I was just kiddin' - it's cool. Me likey.

Ben said...

Piss.

Unknown said...

Joel is absolutely right. Your job is extremely boring and so was that last post. Just kidding???
I cant wait to go bike riding with you in Seattle.
I love you Joel.

Ben said...

Sorry about the blog being so boring CJ, I'll try to step up my game. How about something about sex with lemurs?

Unknown said...

Brilliant.