Monday, November 16, 2009

Stalking Amber Coffman



I don't often get celebrity crushes, but recently I've found an exception in Amber Coffman. I don't know if "celebrity" is even the right word. She's one of the guitarists/vocalists for the band The Dirty Projectors. I suppose at this point, The Dirty Projectors fame is enough to qualify them as "celebrities."

I remember first hearing about "The D.P.'s" back in 2007. The story goes that lead singer/guitarist Dave Longstreth had found an empty casette tape case for one of Black Flag's releases while visiting his parents. Feeling inspired to "fill the case," Longstreth went on to record a collection of Black Flag "covers," entitled "Rise Above," all played from memory. The "reimagining" of the songs often bares little resembalance to the originals, but that is what I find so intriguing. What would a song you loved in your youth sound like if you tried to just play it, without being distracted by the accuracy of the original, real recording? In 2009 The Dirty Projectors released "Bitte Orca" on Domino, significantly raising the band's profile and critical acclaim. Their music is modern weird-pop. They take cues from 80's inspired African artists, much like their New York friends Vampire Weekend. The songs often contain intricate male/female vocal harmonies and technical, but pop-oriented guitar lines.



But let's get back to the focus here, the lovely Amber Coffman. I'm not sure exactly what it is I find so attractive about her. Amber's appearance while cute, is nothing exceptional. She does kind of have that "adorable-elfin-Bjork-meets-Joanna-Newsome" thing going on, though. I also find her guitar playing and singing sexy, if that makes any sense. There's something about female musicians that really does it for me. Even if they're not "hot" in the traditional sense, a girl shredding on an instrument is a beautifull sight to witness. Also, from watching D.P. music videos, interviews, etc, I get the feeling Amber is a down to earth, normal, "real" person. I feel like if I met her at a show, she wouldn't be a stuck up hipster cunt, but more of a soft spoken, shy, interesting girl.

Hell, maybe I should contact their publicist about doing an interview?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I effed her.

Unknown said...

She was way fly. I would totally eff her and c on her t's.

Anonymous said...

Interspecies sexual relations with a minor elf? I think that is illegal, even on the Left Coast.
Eight year olds Dude.

Juliepop said...

Elves are hot! And they just look younger. Shit. I bet she's like 90 in Elf years.