Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Ever Changing Sky Last Night



After our 10 hour recording session yesterday, I somehow managed to make my way down to The Rendezvous to see my "friends" The Ever Changing Sky play.

The fact that our new friends, the unbelievably talented "More Bells Then Whistles" was the determining factor. I had to see this show. I arrived about 15 minutes before The Ever Changing Sky started playing. Their set was a loud, intense epic mother fucker. I've seen these guys at least a dozen times, and they NEVER cease to amaze me. The quiet, intimate breakdowns, the epic peaks of delay pedal guitar chaos, the mathy-post rock repetitions, are all mind-blowingly precise, consistent and awe inspiring. By the way, all of what I just mentioned often occurs in a single song. Their set ended with some major, heavy rock, complete with Steve and Chapple smashing the necks of their instruments together. Fuck.

I had really hoped More Bells Than Whistles would be next, but Armed With Legs came on. I was thoroughly impressed by the 4 or 5 songs I heard. Two piece with bass and drums. The bassist loops the hell out of his playing, and sings like Thom Yorke (if he was being attacked by knives).

I tried to stick it out, but it was 12:30 AM,and couldn't make it any longer. I'm not too disappointed though, as we're playing with More Bells Then Whistle in a little more than a week!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are to kind sir sorry it took me forever to check it out. love you.

chaps